Spooky SZN but make it sustainable 🎃
Easy and non judgemental tips for making your spooky szn more sustainable because no one's perfect but we could be better.
Decorations, instead of buying plastic one off tombstones, cobwebs and spiders, let's can get creative.
- Use old tights and rip them into spiders webs.
- Make cardboard boxes into tombstones.
- Go outside and see what natures got for you, leaves, big scary sticks.
- Reuse your decorations from the previous year!
- See? It was worth keeping that old huge t-shirt with holes in. Throw some red paint on you. Instant zombie.
- Search the charity shops. They even have costume sections sometimes.
- Recycle an old costume from before. We can't all be Heidi Klum.
- Hosting a party? Avoiding disposable cups, plates and cutlery, obvs.
- If you need disposable ones, buy biodegradable ones.
Tricks and Treats
- Buy from brands you know are doing good for the planet! Check out wherefrom for the highest rated sweeties.
- Look for sweets with minimal packaging and/or those made packaged in recycled materials.
- Buy pumpkins from local grown places, if you can!
- Don't throw away all the good stuff from inside the pumpkin. Toast the seeds or make a pumpkin pie.
- Compost it.
- You CAN eat the mini pumpkins too. Look for recipes online.
Compost and Recycle
- From party food to sweeties to pumpkins, consider composting all organic matter and recycling other items.
- Reuse as much as you can from year to year. Instead of throwing away an old box or bag, use it to gather all your decorations and keep for next year.